Where the stuff on this blog is something i created it is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License so there are no requirements to attribute - but if you want to mention me as the source that would be nice :¬)
Tuesday, 13 December 2016
7min 25sec animated clip from@alexsandalis - 10 learnings from 10 years of #MariaPopova 's @brainpickings
1) Allow yourself the uncomfortable luxury of changing your mind
- "its infinitely more rewarding to understand than to be right - even if that means changing your mind about a topic, an ideology, or above all, yourself."
2) Do nothing for prestige or status or money or approval alone
- "extrinsic motivators ultimately don't make it thrilling to get up in the morning and gratifying to go to sleep at night ... and can often distract and detract from things that can offer those deeper rewards"
3) Be generous - with time, resources, credit and especially your words
- "To understand and be understood, those are among life's greatest gifts, and every interaction is an opportunity to exchange them"
4) Build pockets of stillness into your life
- "Meditate, go for walks, ride your bike going nowhere in particular - there is a creative purpose to daydreaming and even boredom ... most important sleep"
5) When people try to tell you who you are, don't believe them. When people tell you who they are, believe them.
6) Presence is far more intricate and rewarding an art than productivity
- "How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives"
7) Expect anything worthwhile to take a long time
- "As a culture we are uninterested in the tedium of blossoming but that's where all the magic unfolds in the making of ones character and destiny"
8) Seek out what magnifies your spirit
- "What are the people, ideas and books that magnify your spirit - find them, hold onto them and visit them often"
9) Don't be afraid to be an idealist.
10) Don't just resist cynicism - fight it actively
- "Its inherently un-creative, un-constructive and spiritually corrosive"